Hazardous Waste Disposal Guide - Non-Research Areas

Summary of Policy

This policy covers responsible management of hazardous wastes for Facilities, Operations & Management (FOM) and non-research areas.

Affected Parties

All Groups

Policy Statement

Purpose: to  correctly  manage  hazardous  waste  generated  by  Facilities,  Operations  &  Management  (FOM)  and  other  Non‑Research  areas  of  Dartmouth  College. This  waste  may  be  generated  while performing  routine  maintenance  or  construction  on  the  buildings,  grounds  and  equipment. This  procedure  applies  to  all  shops  of  FOM: Building  Repair (Carpenter  &  Paint  Shops),  Electronics,  Electrical,  Equipment  Maintenance,  Fire  Safety  Systems  Maintenance,  Grounds  and  Labor  Shops,  Science  Center  Facilities  Group  as  well  as  the  Athletic  Department,  Golf  Course  and  DMS  facilities.


Hazardous  Waste  Determinations:

Dartmouth  College employees  are  legally  obligated  to  identify  and  properly  dispose  of  any  material  deemed  hazardous.    The  Environmental  Protection  Agency  (EPA)  deems  anything  that  may  be  flammable,  corrosive,  toxic  or  reactive  as  "hazardous"  and  if  this  material  is  no  longer  wanted  or  usable,  it  must  be  disposed  of  as  "hazardous  waste". Safety  Data  Sheets  (SDS)  are  useful  in  determining the  materials properties but  in  some  instances  testing  may  be  required. If  in  doubt  whether  something  is  hazardous  or  not,  please  contact  EHS  for  a  hazardous  waste  determination.


Anyone working with hazardous  chemicals  could  potentially  generate  a  hazardous  waste.  Training  requirements  for  anyone  working  with  hazardous  chemicals  and/or  waste  are  listed  below  (both  trainings  are  web-­based).  Classroom  trainings can  be done  by request:

  1. Hazard  Communication  Training  (every  3  years): https://dartmouth.bioraft.com/node/196562.
  2. Hazardous  Waste  Management  for  Non-­Research  Employees  (annually): https://dartmouth.bioraft.com/node/139424

How  to  Arrange  for  a  Hazardous  Waste  Pick-­up:

Contact  Environmental  Health  &  Safety  (EHS)  either  by  calling  646-1762  or  emailing  ehs@dartmouth.edu to  request  a  waste  pick-up.    Please  state  what  you  have  for  pick-­up,  the  volume  and  the  location. (FOM  may  place  waste containers in  the  MacKenzie  hazardous  waste  storage  area  as  long  as  it  is  labeled  with  a  completed  hazardous  waste  label.)

How  to  Collect  Hazardous  Waste:

Acid solutions  –

Any  acid  solutions  used  for  the  cleaning  of  bathroom  tiles  or  bricks  must  be  collected  as  hazardous  waste  and  cannot  be  drain  disposed.    This  includes  muriatic  acid.    It  must  be  collected  in  a  container  that  can  be  sealed  and  labeled  with  a  completed hazardous  waste  label.    Please  see  SOP  #16  Standard  Operating  Procedures  for  personnel  when  using  corrosive  chemicals  for  additional  information.

Aerosol Spray  Cans  –

If  cans  are  completely  empty,  place  in  the  regular  trash.    If  the  can  contains  liquid,  pressure  or  you  are  unsure  – collect  as  hazardous  waste.

Automotive  Antifreeze/Transmission  Fluid

Collect  in  pails  or  drums  and  attach  a completed  hazardous  waste  label.    For  drums,  place  on  spill  pallets  and  leave  in  place.

Closed-­Looped  Heating  and  Cooling  systems  –

Closed  looped  heating  and  cooling  systems  such  as  chillers,  cooling  towers  and  boilers  may  contain  glycol,  lithium  bromide  or  some  other  chemical  for  its  operation.  These  chemicals  may  become  contaminated  with  additives  that  cause  the  properties  of  the  virgin  product  to  change.      If  these  systems  require  maintenance  where  the  material  must  be  replaced  and  disposed  of,  testing  will  be  required  to  assess  the  hazards.  Please  contact  EHS  for  more  information.

Compressor  Oils/Vacuum  Pump  Oil/Transformer  Oil

For  routine  maintenance  on  compressors  or  pumps,  the  waste  oils  must  be  collected  in  a  smaller  container  that  can  be  sealed  for  transport.  These  smaller  containers  will  be  carried  from  the  various  mechanical  spaces  and  placed  in  the  main  collection  drum  located  in  the  FOM  hazardous  waste  area  in  the  McKenzie  yard.    Do  not  leave  these  smaller  collection  containers  in  mechanical  spaces.    They  must  be  removed  immediately  after  the  maintenance  operation  has  been  performed  and  taken  to  the  hazardous  waste  area  in  the  FOM  yard.  Some areas  may  collect  in  a  30  gallon  drum (NO  PCB  CONTAMINATED  OIL).    If  so,  the  drum  must  be  placed  on  a  spill  pallet.  If  you  know  the  waste  oil  contains  PCB,  please  indicate  that  on  the  waste  label.

Exit  signs 

Some  exit  signs  contain  radioactivity.    If  replacing  radioactive  exit  signs,  please  contact  EHS  for  more  information.

Glycols  –

Glycols  used  in  heating  and  cooling  systems  may  or  may  not  be  hazardous  according  to  the  EPA.  However,  drain  disposal  is  not  an  option.    Local  sewer  ordinances  do  not  allow  it.    If  glycol  is  to  be  disposed  of,  please  contact  EHS.    Testing  will  be  required  to  assess  the  hazard  and  then  disposal  options  can  be  addressed.

Lead and  Polychlorinated  Biphenyls  (PCBs)

Lead  pipes must  be  collected  and  placed  in  the  "metals"  recycling  dumpster  or  the  "metals"  recycling  can  in  the  ME  shop.    (Contact  Dartmouth  Recycles  for  the  current  location  of  the  dumpster.)

Lead/Silver solder – All  lead  containing  wire/solder  and  lead/silver  solder  must  be  collected  for  recycling.    Please  contact  EHS  for  recycling  options.

Lead  Paint  Chips 

a. For   any   lead   paint   chips   generated   from   routine   maintenance  activities:    Place  them  in  a  5  gallon  plastic  bucket  with  a  lid  or  plastic  bag  liner.  If  a  bag  is  used  in  lieu  of  a  bucket,  it  must  be  double-bagged  with  the  bag  taped  closed,  goose-­neck  method.  Place  a  completed  EHS  Hazardous  Waste  Label  on  the  sealed  bag  or  bucket.

b. For  large  or  contract projects  involving  larger  amounts  of  lead  paint: Collect  in  a 55  gallon  steel  drum.  If  poly  is  used  for  collection,  it  can  be  rolled  up  and  placed  into  drums.  Label  all  drums  with  hazardous  waste  labels.  Keep  drums  under  cover  from  the  weather.  (An  account  string  must  be  provided  for  all  waste  generated  from  a  project.)  If  this  work  is  done  by  an  outside  contractor,  the  contractor  must  provide  the  steel  drums  for  collection,  ensure  that  drums  are  labeled  and  kept  protected  from  the  elements.  Contact  EHS  for  a  waste  pick‑up.

Lead  Paint  Chips  with  potential  PCB  contaminated  caulking/sealants:    Follow  the  procedure  for  lead  paint  chips as  above.    Make  the  sure  the  hazardous  waste  label  includes  Lead  and  PCB  as  constituents.    Small  amounts  of  waste  may  also  be  disposed  in  the  Paint  shop  satellite  waste  container.

Mercury  Switches  –

Mercury  is  found  in  some  switches  and  other  electrical  devices.    Place  all  switches  in  the  labeled  white  pail  located  in  the  Mechanical  or  Electronics  Shop.    For  larger  devices,  contact  EHS  for  proper  handling.

Miscellaneous  Items  –

Miscellaneous  items  include  paints,  solvents,  cleaners,  epoxys,  glues,  adhesives,  mastics,  water  sealers,  insulating  foams  and  caulking.    If  the  Safety  Data  sheet  indicates  the  material  is  flammable,  corrosive,  toxic  or  reactive,  please  dispose  to  EHS.

Motor  Oil  (automotive  engine) –

Place  engine  motor  oil  in  a  30  gallon  closed  head  drum.    Only  motor  oil  and  small  amounts  of  gasoline  can  be  placed  in  this  drum.    NO  PCB  CONTAMINATED  OIL.      The  drum  must  be  kept  closed  at  all  times  except  when  adding  contents.    If  filters  are  draining,  please  make  sure  the  drum  is  closed  by  the  end  of  the  shift.    DO  NOT  OVERFILL  THE  DRUM.

Oil Spill  Material,  Filters,  Rags,  Speedi-­Dri,  Absorbants  –

Place all  items  into  drum  or  pail.    Label  container  with  a  completed  hazardous  waste  label.

Oil  Tank  Clean-­Outs

When  oil  tanks  are  to  be  cleaned  out  or  removed,  there  are  2  different  waste  streams  that  can  be  generated.    If  the  tank  is  just  cleaned  out,  then  a  water/oil  mixture  is  generated.      When  tanks  are  removed,  the  waste  generated  may  also  include  an  oily  sludge,  rags,  speedi-­dri,etc.    This  type  of  operation  is  usually  subcontracted  out.      For  Oil  Sludge,  Rags,  Speedi-­dri,  Filters  and  any  Spill  Absorbant place  into  an  open-head  drum.    There  should  be  no  excessive  liquid.  For  the  Oil  &  Water  Mixture  from  the  tank  clean-­outs use  a  closed-­head  drum.    It  should  contain oil  and  water  only  with  no  rags,  filters,  debris  or  sludge.  Label  all  containers  with  a completed  hazardous  waste  label  and  notify  EHS  for  a  waste  pick‑up.

Parts  Cleaner  –

Contact  EHS  when  the  parts  cleaner  becomes  ineffective  and  no  longer  usable.    Please  provide  the  Safety  Data  Sheet  for  the  material.    The  original  chemical  used  to  clean parts  may  be  non-­hazardous  but  with  use,  it  becomes  contaminated  with  hazardous  materials.


Latex  paint

a. For  large  quantities  of  latex  paint,  there is a  30  gallon  closed  head  drum  located  in  the  Paint  Shop.    Only  latex  paint  can  be  placed  in  this  drum.    (No  paints containing  heavy  metals such  as  lead,  bariumor  chromium  are  allowed  to  be  bulked.)  The  drum  must  be  kept  closed  at  all  times  except  when  adding  contents.    DO  NOT  OVERFILL  THE  DRUM.  A  drum  is  considered  full  when  three  inches  of  head  space remain  in  the  drum.

b. For  small  quantities ‑a few  cans‑,  you  may  leave  open  to  air  dry  or  use  kitty  litter  to  accelerate  the  drying  process.  Once  a  latex  paint  can  is  dry,  it  may  be  disposed  to  the  regular  trash.

Oil-­Based  Paint/Kerosene -­ large  quantities  of  oil  based  paint  is  collected  in  a  30  gallon  closed  head  drum  located  in  the  Paint  Shop.    Only  oil-­based  paint  and/or  kerosene  can  be  placed  in  this  drum.    (No  paints containing  heavy  metals such  as  lead,  bariumor  chromium  are  allowed  to  be  bulked.) The  drum  must  be  kept  closed  at  all  times  except  when  adding  contents.    DO  NOT  OVERFILL  THE  DRUM.    A  drum  is  considered  full  when  three  inches  of  head  space remain  in  the  drum.

Empty  Paint  Cans  (Oil-­Based  &  Latex) -­ Before  paint  cans  are  to  be  disposed  of  they  must  be  empty  and  dry.    A  paint  can  is  considered  "empty"  when  there  is  less  than  1  inch  of  dry  sludge  remaining.    Once  the  paint  cans  have  been  scraped  of  any  excess  paint,  place  the  individual  cans  on  the  shelving  provided  in  the  bay  next  to  the  hazardous  waste  area  in  the  Mackenzie  yard.    Place  cans  on  their  sides  to  allow  to  air  dry.    Once  the  cans  are  dry  then  can  be  disposed  of  as  regular  trash.

Paint/Solvent  Contaminated  Rags -­ Place  any  paint  or  solvent  contaminated  rags  in  the  red  flammable  storage  can  located  in  the  paint  shop.    Line  the  container  with  a  plastic  bag.

Smoke  Detectors

Ionization  smoke  detectors  contain  a  radioactive  material  and  must  be  disposed  of  properly.    If  possible,  all  smoke  detectors  should  be  returned  to  the  manufacturer.    When  the  container  is  full,  tally  the  number  of  detectors  and  contact  the  supplier for  a  return  authorization  number.

Scrap  Metal  for  Recycle  –

Place  all  scrap  metal  in  the  labeled  plastic  drum.    When  full,  contact  the Labor  crew  for  a  waste  pick-­up.

Universal/Recyclable  Waste  –

  • Fluorescent  light  bulbs,  projector  lamps,  batteries and  cathode  ray  tubes  (CRTs) are  collected  and  recycled  as  universal  waste.    PCB  and  Non-­PCB  (metal  and  plastic)  ballasts  are  collected  and  recycled as  well.    If  bulbs,  batteries  or  ballasts  are  found,  always  place  in  the  identified trash  recycling  area,  in  the  appropriate  labeled  container.    DO  NOT  TAPE  BULBS  TOGETHER.
  • Electronics  for  Recycle  – This  includes  CRTs  (television,  computers, etc.)  Please  log  a  description  of  equipment,  Asset  Tag  #  and/or  Serial  Number  (if  available).    Old  electronic  circuit  boards  must  be  placed  in  a  box  or  container.    When  the  area  is  full,  e-­mail: Materials.Management@Dartmouth.EDU for  a  pick-­up.    All  the  above  information  is  required  in  the  e-­mail.
  • See  also  the  Universal  Waste  Plan and  Universal  Waste  Collection  SOP.

Spill  Clean-­up

You  should  only  clean  up spills  that  can  be  contained  safely  with  available  spill  materials  on  hand.      Contact  EHS  at  646-­1762  for  assistance  with  larger  spills.  If  any  spill  is  a  fire  or  explosion  risk  – DIAL  911.

  • Eliminate  all  sources  of  ignition.
  • Protect  all  floor  drains.
  • Wear  disposable  gloves
  • Cover   the   spill   with   absorbent   material.      Ensure   all   liquid   has   been  absorbed.
  • Place   all   contaminated   absorbent   into   the   appropriately   labeled   waste  container.    If  a  container  is  not  available,  bag  in  a  clear  plastic  bag,  tape  closed  and  label  with  a  hazardous  waste  label.    Call  EHS  for  a  waste  pick-­up.

If  spills  reach  drains,  waterways  or  cannot  be  cleaned  up  immediately,  call  EHS  at 646-­1762.

For  Collection  of  Waste  into  Drums:

  • All  drums  must  be  labeled  with  an  EHS  Hazardous  Waste  Label.
  • All  drums  must  be  kept  closed  except  when  adding  to  it.
  • DO  NOT  OVERFILL.    A  drum  is  considered  full  when  three  inches  of  head  space  remain  in  the  drum.  Contact  EHS  as  soon  as  the  drum  is  full.  Before  transport,  ensure  that  both  bungs  are  securely  tight.
  • Do  not  mix  oil  with  other  wastes.    For  example,  do  not  put  kerosene  into  a  drum  that  is  for  the  collection  of  oil.
  • Drums  must  be  stored  on  spill  platforms.    Spill  platforms  must  be  kept  clean.    If  material  is  spilled  into  the  platform,  clean  up  immediately.
  • All  drums  must  be  maintained  in  good  condition  (clean,  non-­rusting,  labeled).    Use  drums  approved  or  provided  by  EHS.
  • Clean  up  any  spills  immediately.

Policy ID


Effective Date

January 31, 2016


Campus Services

Office of Primary Responsibility

Office of Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)

Last Reviewed Date

July 5, 2022

Next Review Date