ADMINISTRATOR (NON-FACULTY) EMERIT PRIVILEGES POLICY
I. DEFINITION OF ELIGIBILITY
Emerit status may be granted to any employee meeting the following requirements:
- Staff who, as of their retirement date, have accumulated 20 total years of service with 10 consecutive years of service just prior to their retirement date; and
- Have exhibited an extraordinary commitment to the College and positive institutional impact.
II. POLICY STATEMENT
Emerit status entitles the individual to the following benefits:
- Name listed in College directories
- A forwarding-only Dartmouth.edu email address
- Dartmouth library system(s) access and borrowing privileges
- Dartmouth OPO and DOC cabin reservations, under the same policies as employees
All privileges last for the duration of the Emerit's life. Privileges are non-transferable and do not apply to family members.
- The employee's VP or Dean must submit a written, electronic request to their respective senior officer (Dean of Faculty, Provost, Executive Vice President, Senior Vice President for Advancement, or President) that the employee be granted Emerit status. The recommendation should include a record of the employee's employment at the College and clear examples of how their contributions have improved Dartmouth as well as the employee's preferred title of "emeritus", "emerita", or "emerit". Upon approval, the senior officer first checks with the Office of Equal Opportunity, Accessibility, and Title IX to ensure there are no findings of misconduct that would otherwise disqualify the individual and then submits a memo to the Board Secretary for inclusion in the Board's upcoming meeting materials. The Board votes on requests for Emerit status at each meeting, as needed. Exceptions may be granted at the President's discretion.
- Recommendations should be submitted to senior officers one month prior to scheduled Board meetings, as found here.
- Following Board meetings, the Board Secretary will send an electronic memo of confirmation to the senior officer, copying Human Resources and campus information technology, and will mail a confirmation directly to the retiring employee per U.S. post.
VOTED: To approve the revised administrator emerit privileges policy.
Approved by the Dartmouth College Board of Trustees, July 20, 2018.
Updates approved by the Dartmouth College Board of Trustees, June 9, 2023.